Ebola cases in DR Congo surpass 5,000 as fatality rate reaches 70% in hardest-hit areas
The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has surpassed 5,000 confirmed cases, with health authorities warning that the epidemic continues to spread rapidly in remote and conflict-affected regions.
According to the DRC Ministry of Health, the country has recorded 5,021 Ebola cases and 2,378 deaths since the outbreak began. The virus has now spread across six provinces and 55 health zones, making it one of the largest Ebola outbreaks on record.
WHO warns outbreak remains far from under control
The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the current outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, is spreading faster than previous epidemics and remains far from being contained.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the outbreak poses a high risk of both national and international spread, adding that insecurity, population displacement and intense cross-border movement continue to hamper response efforts.
The WHO also cautioned that, if transmission continues at its current pace, the outbreak could rival or exceed the scale of the 2014–2016 West Africa Ebola epidemic, which claimed more than 11,000 lives.
Health workers face growing challenges
Medical personnel say deteriorating security conditions and logistical difficulties are severely affecting response operations.
In Bunia, the capital of Ituri Province, nurse Therese Anyiya said healthcare workers are approaching exhaustion because of overwhelming workloads and delayed salary payments. Some medical staff have reportedly gone on strike over unpaid wages, further disrupting outbreak response efforts.
Health officials also noted that many newly confirmed infections are emerging outside previously identified contact-tracing networks, indicating that community transmission remains widespread and difficult to monitor.
Violence hinders emergency response
Security concerns continue to complicate efforts to contain the virus, particularly in eastern provinces affected by armed groups.
Authorities said an ambulance was set on fire and two vehicles were damaged after a health team responding to a suspected Ebola case was attacked in the Aru area of Ituri Province.
Dr. Martin Cwinyay, who is involved in the response effort, stressed the need to expand healthcare services to remote villages, mining communities and camps for displaced people, where access to medical care remains limited.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) emergency coordinator Trish Newport emphasized that many residents still lack essential information about Ebola symptoms and prevention measures, underscoring the importance of stronger community engagement.
No approved vaccine for Bundibugyo strain
Unlike some previous Ebola outbreaks, there is currently no approved vaccine or specific treatment for the Bundibugyo variant, making early detection, supportive care and public health measures the primary tools for limiting transmission.
Experts believe the outbreak may have begun in the mining town of Mongbwalu as early as February, although the Congolese government officially declared the outbreak on May 15.
The nationwide case fatality rate currently stands at 47.4%, according to health authorities. In North Kivu Province, where access to healthcare is particularly difficult, the fatality rate has reportedly reached 70%, highlighting the severity of the outbreak in the most affected areas.(ILKHA)
LEGAL WARNING: All rights of the published news, photos and videos are reserved by İlke Haber Ajansı Basın Yayın San. Trade A.Ş. Under no circumstances can all or part of the news, photos and videos be used without a written contract or subscription.
Australia is facing a significant escalation in the spread of H5 bird flu among wild birds, with more than 1,000 greater crested terns found dead in three mass mortality events in South Australia.
Cameroon President Paul Biya returned home on Thursday after more than 10 weeks abroad, ending the longest recorded absence from the country since he took power more than four decades ago.
The U.S. State Department has approved a possible $4.5 billion Foreign Military Sale to Qatar that includes four Boeing KC-46A Pegasus aerial refueling aircraft and related equipment, following notification to Congress.